In an idle moment in a spot of vacation leading up to Christmas and while everyone else does battle with The Snow, I though I would knock up a prototype Android app to work with my media player Morrigan. A couple of days later (don’t worry, I did remember to sleep) I have a something that is working rather better than previously expected. Actually building this app was only 60% Android development. The other 40% was beating Morrigan’s HTTP interfaces into shape – a worthwhile exercise as they are looking much more robust now (though there is still more functionality to add). Screen shots below:
In order, the 5 screens are:
1) Home screen – server list. Use the + button to add new servers. Long-hold servers to get a delete option.
2) Server screen – lists the artefacts on that server. First it lists players (there is usually only one, but can have more) followed by media databases.
3) Player view – get to by clicking a player item on the server screen. Should be self-explanatory. The search button allows you to search the DB currently being played from.
4) Media list view – shows some details about a specific database and the results of the last query.
5) Clicking a media item brings up a prompt to either play the item or add it to the queue.
It is purely a remote-control at the moment, but hopefully soon it will also you to pull media files to the phone, manage them there, and sync meta-data back to the server again. My current object is to get the mobile interface usable to the point that a head-less Morrigan can be run without too much command-line-for-everything faf.
No download-links yet as everything is still changing on daily basis as I add new function. But if anyone does want to have a play, please let me know and I will be happy to hook you up with working builds… and a development environment if desired :).